Live online from anywhere on Earth
One Spirit offers most of our classes by live online videoconference bridging our classrooms in New York with students from around the world. With your computer or hand-held device and an Internet connection, you can be present with faculty and other students, sharing your thoughts and asking questions in real time. Let yourself be seen by others and feel the power of a global community of engaged learners, collaborating toward a shared vision.
- We use zoom.us, free videoconference software accessible by internet ready computers and hand-held devices.
- Videoconferences occur live on Eastern Daylight Time. We recommend arriving at least 15 minutes before class.
- The system is designed to share your computer's microphone and videocamera by default to connect you with other learners.
- While you may turn off your camera and mute your audio, we hope you choose to be present with us on screen: learners in our classroom can't hide behind a screen, so why should you?
- This live event will be recorded for educational purposes, including the names, video, audio and comments of all participants and visitors.
- A headset with a Microphone works best for sharing, but it is not required.
- It is possible to use your telephone for the classroom audio (local and long-distance rates may apply), but a computer connection is required to participate interactively.
- Computer - minimum requirements
- Processor: Single Core 1Ghz or higher
- Operating Systems:
- Mac OS X: 10.6.8 /(Snow Leopard) or later
- Windows: 7 or above, Vista SP1 or later or XP SP3 or later
- Linux - many varieties
- Windows: IE7+, Firefox, Chrome, Safari5+
- Mac: Safari5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Tablet and Smartphone - minimum requirements
- Apple iOS 7.0 or later:
- iPad Mini, Pad 4, new iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 6s, 6, 5s, 5, 4S, 4 and iPod touch 4th Generation, iPhone 3GS (no front facing camera)
- Android 2.3.x Gingerbread
- Android 3.x Honeycomb
- Android 4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich
- Android 4.1/4.2/4.3 Jelly Bean
- Android 4.4 Kit Kat
- Android 5.0.x Lollipop
- Kindle Fire HD
- Apple iOS 7.0 or later:
For a full set of Zoom's Requirements and Recommendations for optimal viewing, click here.
How it Works
Joining a Videoconference
Community Events - When you register for a One Spirit Community Event, you will receive an email confirmation that contains instructions plus a link that you must click to join the videoconference.
Workshops, Courses & Programs - When you register for a One Spirit Elective Workshop or Course, you will receive an email invitation to join a private class webpage. That private webpage will contain the instructions and videoconference join link.
When you click the join link or button, just follow the on-screen instructions to download the Zoom App to your Computer OR launch the app if it's already installed. The Videoconference will open automatically on your device!
Speaking to the Classroom on Camera
To ask a question or offer a comment, click the "Participants" button to open the "Participants" window and click on the "Raise Hand" link as shown:
During class, the instructor will ask students to break up into small groups for exercises and discussions. Just as students in the room split up into groups, students on the videoconference will split into small, private videoconference groups.
Please Note: Just as we expect all students in the classroom to participate in breakouts, we expect videoconference students to participate as well.
- You will receive an on-screen invitation to join a breakout room
- Click the button to confirm and join the room
- If you do not have a microphone on your computer, please select Audio Options and then Join by Phone. Call in using the on-screen instructions. Video is optional.
- After a few seconds, you will be in a private videoconference with another student.
- Activate your camera and unmute yourself to follow the instructions given by faculty.
- You may receive on-screen prompts and messages from the moderator, including when it's time to end.
- At the conclusion of the breakout exercise, you will have 60 seconds to wrap up and then will be automatically returned to the main classroom.
Here is a brief Video that outlines this feature:
Though there may be default on-screen buttons to Invite people to the videoconference, DO NOT invite anyone to this private conference. Attendance is strictly limited to students who have pre-registered!
Likewise, please do not share your screen with other participants.