Available by: Watch Online Recordings Only
Price: General Public: $ 100.00 | One Spirit Graduates: $ 90.00 0.00
One Spirit Elective Credit: 1.0
Love animals & spirituality? Want to dig into what spiritual traditions teach about animals and try interspecies practices? Join animal chaplain, Sarah Bowen, on October 3 for a full-day interactive workshop on creating spiritual connections with the more-than-human world. Learn how to help animals & the planet, try reflective exercises, share experiences with other animal lovers, and hear from special guests Amanda Ree (Samadog), Aline Silva (Creature Kind), Azaria Ulmer (Tree Sisters), Jacy Reese (Sentience Institute), Judy Carman (Worldwide Prayer Circle for Animals), Kathy Stevens (Catskill Animal Sanctuary), Lisa Levinson (In Defense of Animals), and more.
We do not journey alone! 68% of US households include an animal family member. Our actions affect them, and they affect us. How can we strengthen the bond? How do we prepare for the joy of a new animal companion, the confusion of messy health decisions, and the devastation of death or loss?
Beyond home, how do we extend compassion to the 8.7 million other species we share this interdependent planet with? As animal lovers, what does our sacred activism look like on behalf of those “without a human voice”?
Join Sarah in a full-day, interactive workshop to:
- Try interspecies spiritual practices
- Learn spiritual traditions teach about animals
- Explore your relationship with non-human beings
- Learn how theoethics impact all beings and our planet
- Hear about the field of animal chaplaincy
- Receive resources for working with animal adoption, illness, loss, grief, and advocacy
- Discover how to extend your professional practice/volunteer work/sacred activism/ministry “beyond two-leggeds” with insights from a meditation teacher for dogs and horses, canine Ayurvedic teacher, reiki practitioner for animals, shamanic spirit animal guide, animal cemetery professional, compassionate chef, therapy dog companion, and more.
About SARAH BOWEN: Especially interested in the intersection of spiritual values with animal welfare, Sarah Bowen is a fierce advocate for all creatures. As an animal chaplain, she teaches interspecies mindfulness practices, works with humans around grief/loss of companion animals, loves up animals in shelters, and provides wildlife struck by cars a “sacred sendoff.” Her writing on animal/human relationships has been featured in Spirituality & Health Magazine, Tricycle: The Buddhist Review, and Elephant Journal, and as well as on a wide range of podcasts from the Doggy Diva Show to Vegan Spirituality. She is a member of the Association for Pet Loss & Bereavement, an ordained interfaith/interspiritual minister, and author of two books on modern spirituality.
If you have questions about registering for this course, please contact One Spirit Learning Alliance by email to [email protected] or call 212-931-6840.